The name of the Foundation was conceived in honor of two members of Beta Delta Boulé who had a great impact on the Charlotte community.
Franklin Eugene McCain was a civil rights activist and member of the Greensboro Four. McCain along with three other students from North Carolina A&T staged a sit-in protest at the Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro, NC in 1960. Their actions were credited with reversing the policy of racial discrimination at establishments throughout the south, and increasing national sentiment to the plight of African Americans in the region.
Julius LeVonne Chambers was an American lawyer, civil rights leader and educator. In the 1970s and 1980s, he successfully litigated a number of landmark cases before the Supreme Court that would help to shape evolving American civil rights laws, including school desegregation, voting rights and employment discrimination cases. He served as the third Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc.
The Foundation is honored to carry on the legacies of these two pioneers.
The Chambers-McCain Foundation received its 501(c)(3) designation on March 1, 2018 and is committed to cultivating, achieving, and sustaining the highest quality of life through improvement in the areas of Leadership, Economic Development, Education and Social Development in the Greater Charlotte Community. Its primary focus activities are scholarship, mentoring, leadership development and community capacity building.
Chambers-McCain Foundation Board
Robert Keene - Chairman
William "Teddy" McDaniel, III - Vice Chairman
Ryan E. Goldsberry - Secretary
Richard DeVaughn - Treasurer
Robert E. Harrington
D. Oscar Groomes
Chairman Robert Keene
About Beta Delta Boulé of Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity
Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity, founded in 1904, is the first of the African American, Greek-letter Fraternities. There are approximately 5,318 active members and 139-member boulés across the country and in The Bahamas and the United Kingdom. Beta Delta Boulé of Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity was chartered in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1977.